A home fire occurs every 85 seconds
Kentucky has one of the
highest death rates from
home fires in the US
Nationwide, there was a civilian fire injury every 33 minutes, and a civilian fire injury in home fires every 43 minutes.
Every 25 seconds, a fire department responds to a fire somewhere in the nation.
3,240 civilian fire deaths occurred in 2013 alone, this was an increase of 13.5% from the year before.
2,755 civilian fire deaths occurred in the home or 85% of all fire deaths, an increase of 15.7%.
Nationwide, a civilian death in home fires occurred every 3 hours and 12 minutes.
A fire occurs in a structure at the rate of one every 65 seconds and a home fire occurs every 85 seconds.
We Are Committed To
Zero Fire Fatalities
On average, a fire department responded to:
A fire every 25 seconds
A structure fire every 65 seconds
An outside fire every 56 seconds
A vehicle fire at the rate of 1 every 167 seconds
Fire claims an average of nine lives every day
Smoking has been the
leading cause of home fire
deaths for decadess
Unattended cooking is the
leading factor contributing
to home fires
Heating equipment was
involved in one of every
five home fire deaths
Carbon Monoxide Facts & Safety Tips
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning every year.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that often goes undetected, striking victims caught off guard or asleep. It is produced by burning fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces. When gas builds up in enclosed spaces, people or animals who breathe it can be poisoned.
The National Safety Council recommends you install a battery-operated or battery back-up carbon monoxide detector in your home. Check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. The CDC offers these and other best-practice tips:
- Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year
- Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors
- Never use a generator inside your home, basement or garage or less than 20 feet from any window, door or vent
- Have your chimney checked and cleaned every year
- Make sure your gas appliances are vented properly