In 1894, the Village of Monroe was incorporated within the Town of Monroe for a very practical reason – the residents needed a local fire department. A town could not form a fire district of its own. Only a village could do that.
As a result, Monroe residents had to rely on fire fighters from Goshen to travel 12 miles, sometimes by train, to battle their blazes.
– PUB DATE: 8/16/2019 12:00:00 AM – SOURCE: The Photo News
Source: SEAFC National Fire News